Where’s there? Here..
If you read my post yesterday, you might recall me joking about green peanut butter oatmeal.
Well, it wasn’t a joke. There are two things I don’t joke about:
- Green Oatmeal
I went there. And it couldn’t have satisfied my palette any better.
I made/prepared this last night, since I mentioned before how much I enjoy waking up to the sweet thought of a sweet breakfast waiting for me.
First, I combined the dry ingredients into a bowl.
Then, magic bulleted the wet ingredients.
When pouring the green yummy mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients, I realized that this little bowl wouldn’t have been able to withstand the upcoming mixing process without overflowing green goo all over the place.
So i transferred it to this bowl below.
After thoroughly mixing all the ingredients together. I put the lid on this beaute and strategically hid it behind some of my other foods in my fridge so my roommates wouldn’t think I was a COMPLETE weirdo for making green oatmeal.
After a not so fabulous night’s sleep, I had my green peanut butter oats patiently waiting for me!
And then to up the taste factor, i added chocolate protein powder sauce!
But where’s the green you ask?
This was really good cold, but I decided to microwave it for a couple minutes… Which took it to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL!
Along with my oats, and keeping with the green theme, i enjoyed my favorite green tea!
It’s hard not to love tea that is full of flavor AND comes with a few words of wisdom..
Green Peanut Butter Overnight Oatmeal w/ Protein Chocolate Sauce
For the Oats:
- 1/2 cup rolled
- 1 tbs spoon chia seeds ( i used Holy Crap)
- 2 heaping tbs peanut flour, or PB2
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 or 1 whole ripe banana (depending on your sweet tooth meter)
- 3/4 non-dairy milk (or regular milk)
Procedure: Blend the spinach, banana, and milk. Combine liquid with dry ingredients. Stir well, transfer to a Tupperware and refrigerate overnight.
For the Chocolate Protein Sauce:
- 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder (Vega One is my fav!)
- 1 tbs cacao powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. Maple Syrup (or more if you like things sweeter)
- Flax milk (or any other non dairy milk, or regular milk, even water would work)
*Combine the protein powder, cacao powder, and maple syrup a bowl, slowly add liquid until you get the saucy consistency that best suits your textural taste buds!
Health Benefits of My Breakfast
- Oats: Great source of thiamine, iron, and dietary fiber. Fiber helps to reduce cholesterol. Whole oats are also the only source of antioxidant compounds known as avenanthramides; these are believed to have properties which help to protect the circulatory system from arteriosclerosis. Oat products also contain beta-glucan, which may help people with Type 2 diabetes control their blood glucose level, and might also help stimulate the immune system to fight off bacterial infections. (Source)
- Spinach: Spinach has a high nutritional value and is extremely rich in antioxidants, especially when fresh, steamed, or quickly boiled. It is a rich source of vitamin A (and especially high in lutein), vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, magnesium, manganese, folate, betaine, iron, vitamin B2, calcium, potassium, vitamin B6, folic acid, copper, protein, phosphorus, zinc, niacin, selenium and omega-3 fatty acids. (Source) (And you can’t even taste it in the oatmeal!!)
- Pure Cacao Powder: Cocoa powder is rich in flavonoids- are linked to certain health benefits linked to coronary heart disease and stroke. (Source) Full of antioxidants!!
….. On a completely unrelated note, I have some good news.
After many sleepless nights of tossing and turning about the dreaded upcoming cleaning inspections, we passed! Okay, I really wasn’t thaaat worried about it. Especially after my roommates and I pulled it together and did a nice one hour deep clean! Much needed. Although I was a little disappointed when the cleaning inspectors came and spent literally less than 30 seconds evaluating our situation. (Did we seriously get on our hands and knees and scrub the floors for nothing?) Actually, inspection or not… the cleaning was necessary. And our placed is still looking
Since my camera suddenly died last night, my roommate Brenna came to the rescue and let me use her incredible camera to take these photos. (Thanks girl!) I was feeling super professional and tried (keyword: tried) to be artsy with my pics! Think I’ll be mooching off this camera for a while!
Thank you to all those who read my very first blog post yesterday. Really means alot to me! I loved getting feedback- keep it coming!
I’ll be updating my page today, and you will def have to check in later for another green food post- It’s a fun one I promise!