Yesterday, I had a paper to write, laundry to do, and a nap to postpone.
I didn’t end up postponing my nap, I headed straight to bed and passed out for about two hours. From 7 to 9p.m. – It was much needed and I felt super energized afterwards! (Although I always am a bit thrown off when I fall asleep while the sun is out and wake up to the darkness of the night)
My nap gave me the motivation to do laundry, and
finish my paper procrastinate!
When I want to procrastinate while still feeling semi-useful – I cook! We all need to eat, right?!?
I made granola instead of writing my paper… 🙂
I never really fully understood why people used the term “granola” to describe those who eat super healthy and “hippie”esque… Saying “granola” almost as if it was an insult… NEWS FLASH: granola is amazing!! Especially home-made granola!!
Just watch out! Not all granola is healthy! – a lot of store bought brands have a TON of added sugar and sketchy oils (so read the ingredients carefully!) When I buy granola (which is rare).. I make sure there are minimal ingredients, and that it’s sweetened with a natural sweetener, such as agave nectar or maple syrup.
My favorite so far is this brand!
Before making my Apple Cinnamon Hemp Seed Quinoa Granola, I made apple chips first! So easy and so yummy!
All you need is: 2 1/2 smallish apples (I used Granny Smith, and Cinnamon!)
– I had to repeat this process twice (not all the apple slices will fit onto the baking sheets) Unless of course, you own a HUGE oven and a HUGE baking sheet… (if so, I’m jealous!)
1) Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
2) Slice the apples as thin as you can and spread them onto baking sheets lined with aluminum…
3) Sprinkle liberally with cinnamon (both sides)…
4) Place in the oven, leaving a small opening to let the moisture out – I used a spoon to keep a small crack in the door.
5) Finally, bake for about 1 – 1 1/2 hours (until crispy)!
After I made these amazing and easy apple chips, onto the granola I went!!
APPLE CINNAMON HEMP SEED QUINOA GRANOLA
I had the idea of putting hemp seeds in them because yesterday I went to Whole Foods ( just to pick up a couple things) and looked through this pamphlet:
And read about how great they are for you! (Filled with tons of protein!)Here are the healthy, nutritious and delicious ingredients for my
APPLE CINNAMON HEMP SEED QUINOA GRANOLA (inspired by this recipe)
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup hemp seed (add in the hemp seeds AFTER baking – this is very important because when hemp seeds are heated the good fats turn into trans fats… a.k.a BAD fats!)
- 3/4 raw almonds, (chopped or sliced)
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup sultana raisins
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- About 3 cups of the cinnamon apple chips (add these in after baking!)
- Preaheat oven to 225 degree.
- Combine the dry ingredients (except for the apple chips and hemp seeds) with the wet ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir well – coating all the granola with the maple syrup and coconut oil.
- Spread onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours (or until golden brown).
- Once the granola is baked, add in the hemp seeds and crumbled apple chips.
- Voila! YUMMY/ Healthy, granola! (alot less expensive than buying it too!)
This Granola is AMAZING! And this recipe made LOTS!!
This morning, I used the leftover apple slices to make an Apple Cinnamon Peanut Flour Oatmeal topped with the wonderful granola!!
SUCH yummy eats!
And with my tummy full, I was able to FINISH MY PAPER!! WOOOOO!
And now… I’m ready to watch the big game tonight!!